Norand Mono mk2 freezing!

I missed this thread… FYI — I have a MK1 and it is using current v2 software and not freezing. Today received the MK2, been trying it out and it has locked up several times.

the new firmware 1.6 has sorted alot of this for me

I’m on mono_MK2_V1.0.6r and definitely is not solving it for me…

I really hate to type these words, but my unit is so unstable and buggy that I feel like I might have to send it back to Perfect Circuit and ask for a refund. This is kind of bonkers. It isn’t just the lockups, it is also quite unstable. I keep recalibrating the voices which seems to help but the unit has been on for 24 hours and so I assume its temp is stabilized and voices should be stable too. I’m getting a lot of real basic issues just triggering voices from the keyboard where the init voice doesn’t always trigger the right sound. Sometimes the sound is corrupted or just playing irrationally. I’ve tried stripping all modulation and just playing basic sounds. So weird.

I have 2x MK2 units here because my studio mate bought one too. We love the MK1 and it is very stable, and sounds amazing.

I don’t know what is going on with the mk2. Sad. I want it to be awesome too.

Ok, I think I figured out my #1 issue. I hope this helps some of you all as well. I never had this with MK1, so perhaps an oversight in MIDI handling. I was literally about to return this to the store it was behaving so badly.

I’m using Logic, and by default the inputs from all connected MIDI devices are sent to the selected track. In this case, the Mono’s output was feeding back into itself causing all kinds of weird ass problems. I imagine note and CC data really messing with the unit. So. I used Logic’s input filtering option to ignore the Mono’s input. Now it behaves really well. It is just amazing how bad it handles this situation. Definitely look at your DAW and make sure you break any kind of feedback loop which may occur as a result. I have a sneaking feeling that this also will fix the crashing/hanging issues.

I’m a bit stunned that I misread the 3rd post in this thread. I might have saved hours of anguish if I had read the post. :slight_smile:

How’re people liking the Mk2 now? I returned mine but I want to get it again and give it another chance, I’m such a fan but the freezing and bugs got to be too much the first time, even with the updated firmware.

My MK2 freezes quite frequently, but the MK1 with the 2.x software seems to be running quite smoothly. I can’t recall any time that it has locked up. I’ve been using the MK1 for live and the MK2 for other work until they get the kinks worked out.

I just got mine today and updated it to v1.1.1r. Froze on me twice. First time was when applying x-env to x-mod, and second time was when playing with the x-mod amount on the filter.

Hey guys - I just got a mk2 and it sounds amazing but I’m also getting random freezes - I think from sustained midi notes.

The machine seems to get stuck making ungodly stuck note sounds and I haven’t found a solution other than to power cycle it.

Occasionally this also destroys the preset and the sound is lost which is doubly annoying.

I have the latest firmware off the site v1.1.2r

I got it today and it froze after about 20 minutes of playing with it (recording automation and changing pattern length). Quite dissapointing that it makes it so unreliable for live use…

EDIT: I realized that the original firmware file had a time stamp November 2023, so I installed the moct recent version 1.1.2r which seems to improve the behaviour a lot.