Norand Mono MK1 doesn't change patterns when receiving Program Change messages from Octatrack

Hey there!
I have been trying for a while to get the Program Change message sent from the Octatrack to switch patterns on the Norand Mono MK1.
The goal is to have each part linked to a different pattern on the Norand Mono, so when I switch parts, I want the associated pattern to change too. I would like to use the Mono’s sequencer with the stored patterns.

I have tried various settings but none seem to work.
The most sensible settings seem to me:

Octatrack Midi Out → Norand Mono Midi In
Octratrack settings: Transport Send, Clock Send, Program Change Send Channel 1, Midi Setup Channel 1, Bank Off, Prog 0-12 (for testing purpose), SBank off.
Norand Mono settings: Midi Channel 1, Midi Clock Receive.

I feel like I’m missing something since the transport works fine and also Midi notes entered into the Octatrack Sequencer get interpreted by the Mono. I can assign CCs for example for the filter as well and they work. This is why I think the Midi Channels are set up correctly. The program change message that changes patterns on the Mono however is not. I think that the PC-message only gets sent when I change patterns on the Octatrack so I did that, but it doesn’t work. I feel that maybe I need to set up the “Bank” and “Sbank” parameters in the Octatrack in a specific way, but so far, everythink I’ve tried failed to work.

So, long story short: Does anyone use the Norand Mono with pattern change from the Octatrack and maybe help me troubleshoot?

There is one other minor thing that might be involved in the problem:
When selecting the Midi Channel on the Mono (Channel 1) I can also select the sync option. I have to select Option “C” which, according to the manual is for USB Midi. When I select Option “B” which according to the manual is "MIDI Sync the Mono’s sequencer does not start when I start the Octatrack’s clock and it also doesn’t receive any CCs or Program Changes. I also cannot start the sequencer manually. So maybe there’s an error in the manual where they switched the functionality of Sync “B” and “C”? Or maybe this is a clue as to where my problem lies?

Have you got the latest FW installed? I don’t think PGM changes were working at all until the latest release. At least, it fixed it for me… Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for the tip! It works with the latest firmware.

1 Like