Mono Firmware V2.0 Thread

Your responsiveness to emails and on various sites is appreciated, especially as a smaller operation without hopefully getting too overwhelmed!

Heinakroon in the Netherlands does pretty neat front panel overlays, maybe Norand can get in touch with them Frontpanel overlays – Heinakroon

3 Likes

Idea very much appreciated @G3cd

From another colorblind, old man!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Or we can get in touch with them! But let’s wait and see how 2.0 works first.

1 Like

I’m sure I am too late for my suggestion to be included in the actual v2 firmware but this seems to be the thread for feature requests?
I’d love for there to be a midi mode that disables midi-note recording but allows midi sync and receives midi notes (but doesn’t record them). Hear me out!

A thing I really love to do with the mono is to record modulation using it’s step sequencer but to sequence the actual notes with an external sequencer that allows for easier non-grid based playing. (in my case a hapax). It would be a dream to do this with total fluidity - recording modulation live as I’m playing but without accidentally creating a note-jumble from the sequenced notes getting recorded into the mono and shuffled by the step sequencer.

Just an idea!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, could aftertouch & modwheel be recorded into the pattern?

I really wish my Elektrons could, and I’m sure there’s a logical reason why not in implementation (overhead surely) but it would be nice :slight_smile:

That’s a great idea ! Will add it to the list for the future.

You’ll be able to yes ! Quantized to the step.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! I don’t know any grooveboxes that support that now, I’ll be excited to test it out with my Digitone Keys or Keystep 37.

1 Like

Can you bundle the “old” presets with the Firmware (when it’s available).

Maybe you missed the “bug” (?) where after an update the presets are gone …

see: Norand Mono Factory Presets - #2 by Hans303

Hey Lateshift,

Here it is :slight_smile:
https://storage.googleapis.com/norand_public_files/factory_preset_1.1.0r.syx

Cheers,
JB

3 Likes

How are we going with Firmware 2.0?

1 Like

Can’t wait! Loads of features there !

1 Like

I thought I’d missed the release of Mono 2.0 firmware! So, I’m also interested in the timing here. Also, is there a beta? I thought I’d signed up for it, but did not see an email.

You have not missed anything on a Mono 2.0 beta release. My guess is that they are preoccupied with issues delaying the Morphos release (also past its promised rescheduled mid-July ship date). Speaking personally, it is too hot where I am now for me to do justice to either should they become available, and given my own recent productivity, I have no grounds for complaint. I’m sure good things are ahead; we just need to be patient.

1 Like

I’m not in any rush, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss the party. I’m not sure if there are variations of the 1.x firmware, but I’m pretty happy with the firmware I have, just was enthusiastic reading about the possible 2.x features.

Regarding the heatwave. I hope you all take it easy and stay safe. For the past few years, I live in an area which has seen wild fires every year in the late summer fall. The smoke is horrible. What a world we live in.

1 Like

Great! Thanks JBMY ! :pray::v:

Hello everyone!

So it’s august and as you pointed out 2.0 is still not there …
It’s is extremely frustrating for me as it should be out for forever now, but I had a lot of unforeseen event to handle on the company side, which doesn’t leave much room for coding. I also took a long overdue vacation in July, which I really needed!

We are currently switching to a distribution model. As some might have noticed we started working with Tomeso for Europe, and in negociation for UK, US and Asia distribution. This will allow us to focus solely on creating music machines, and less on sales and marketing, but it was a lot of work to put in place!

Back to the subject : I will be back on 2.0 code this week and the next, and I’m hoping to finalize testing and the obvious bug fixing :slight_smile: You are not forgotten ! I’m really excited to start beta phase, because even though on the surface there are not hundreds of new feature, the new backend is insanely advanced (1024PPQN sequencer on a MCU, with 10 audiorate control signal running in parallel was not easy :slight_smile: )

Cheers,
Mathieu

10 Likes

Feature request for 2.1 (just get 2.0 done first, can’t wait to see it :kissing_heart:): MIDI over USB.

That is: I just tried to connect my Keystep via USB to the Mono, can’t get it to work and I didn’t find anything about it in the manual or the forum, so I guess only clock over USB is implemented yet. But as more and more gear uses USB, this would be an awesome addition.

1 Like

@G3cd

I had no issues sending midi over USB to Mono from a 1010 Blackbox (perhaps i only required start/stop/clock signals with my mono pattern munching but i’d think implementation would be all or nothing), are you sure your Keystep model supports being a full host or is it only class compliant for using with a computer?

You might need a different controller or iConnectivity intermediary device (which generally work great but may have some additional latency.)

Does the Keystep USB midi work with any other USB MIDI-accepting client device? If not might be a hardware limitation of the Keystep (unsure about the improvements in the KSP or KS37. I have the latter and can confirm.)

@illumina I’ll give it a try. Still, it’s not in the manual, so it doesn’t exist … woooooooh! :ghost:

1 Like